[KS] miscegenation and racial mixing

HOLLEE MCGINNIS holleem at usa.net
Thu Oct 5 10:59:02 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Hi - I was wondering if there has been any research done looking at
racial mixing/miscegenation in Korea's past? I just finished Jean
Taylor's book _The Social World of Batavia_ for my graduate class on
colonialism, capitalism and culture and I am interested in exploring
issues of mestizo cultures as they arose in colonial settlements for my
final. While the Dutch hardly established a settlement to the extent
they did in Batavia in Korea, I am interested on whether there was any
documentation of the Dutch (or later the British) "mixing" with
Koreans?  Would racial (not ethnic as I assume there has been a lot of
ethnic mixing with Japanese and Chinese in the past) mixing and the
rise of Amerasians not occur with significance until American's entrance
in the 1950s?

Thanks!

Hollee