[KS] Hof springs eternal

Brother Anthony anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Fri Oct 13 20:03:31 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

I have seen Hofs in Soul where the name is romanized as "Hope". Not
surprising, I suppose. The word Hof is a useful (though obscure) bounce
when tracing evolutions of the word "court" since both words begin by
meaning "farm yard" but then certain farmyards evolved into royal
palaces (court / Hof). Which might, I suppose, allow one to imply that
"courtesy / Hoflichkeit" is equivalent to "the manners of a pig"?

Sorry if this is not scholarly enough; it's Saturday.

Br Anthony