[KS] Re: Public awareness of homosexuality in South Korea

k u s h i b o jdh95 at hitel.net
Thu Oct 5 01:18:32 EDT 2000

Reply to: kushibo at mac.com
Sender: owner-korean-studies at iic.edu

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

C.E.Williamson wrote:
> Please, what is this word "=C4=BF=B9=D6=BE=C6=BF=F4" and does it have any meaning to
> Koreans?

I don't know that many Koreans would know right away what "coming out"
means. I know more than a few native English speakers who might not
know.
But I do see two important aspects to this word.

First, as has already been mentioned, in the battle of public opinion,
the
absence of an indigenous word for revealing one's sexual orientation may
bolster the argument of those who claim homosexuality was virtually
non-existent in Korea prior to westernization. Unfortunately, though, it
is
easier to make buzz words out of English than pure Korean or Chinese
characters.

Ths leads me to the other important aspect. If they can successfully
attach
a buzz word to this situation, it will facilitate discussion about it.
In my
experience, many Koreans feel at greater ease discussing unpleasant
issues
(and let's face it, Korean homosexuality is that for most Koreans) when
English words are used instead of Korean ones. It's as if the topic
takes on
a vague, euphemistic quality, making it less disagreeble to discuss.

K U S H I B O