[KS] Re: WTO lauds recovery of Korea

goodwins goodwins at txcyber.com
Tue Oct 3 16:12:26 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Rüdiger Frank wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> The WTO reports:
>
> WTO lauds Korea's strong recovery: Members, after reviewing Korea's
> trade policies on 26 and 28 September 2000, highlighted the role of
> structural
> reforms and that of the WTO in Korea's swift recovery from the 1997
> crisis.

Which is as much as to say the WTO "lauds" itself; i.e., its own
interests, ideologies, programs, etc.

And really, given the scarcity of reliable "independent" evaluations of
just what has or has not changed --really been reformed-- in the Korean
economy since the Fall of '97 I personally view these kinds of reports
as I do "metaphysics"; i.e., comforting in the short run perhaps but
largely incontestable and, therefore, ultimately unsatisfying.

Mike Goodwin
(Toronto, CA & College Station, TX)