[KS] Re: Public awareness of homosexuality in South Korea

yoo-jung kong y-kong at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 4 21:26:40 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

 3) Does anyone know of any stories in Korean literature that deal
> specifically with gay or lesbian protagonists? The topic is treated
> peripherally in O ChOng-hUi's "Morning Star," Kang SOk-kyOng's "Days and
> Dreams" and the late Hwang Sun-wOn's "Doctor Chang's Situation," but
> that's all I can think of off the top of my head.  I know Walter Lew has
> an article on homoeroticism in Yi Sang, but I'm curious if there's
> anything more concrete than that.
>
> Stephen

One text that comes to mind immediately is Hwang Sun-won's _A Moving
Castle_ (UmjikinUn sOng) that has a fairly major character who is a male
homosexual shaman.

Best,
Yoo-Jung Kong
University of Illinois