[KS] Re: To the Observer of Korean Politics

Joerg Plassen Joerg.Plassen at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 23 04:14:13 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Mr. Williamson,

Appreciating your will to examine things both from the Western and the Asian
researchers' angles, I still feel somewhat alarmed by what perhaps might be
considered a slightly essentialist overtone.  Therefore, two questions:

 1. If we leave aside the Roman 'dictator' for a while, we soon  remember
the originally rather neutral Greek expression 'tyrannos', and things
already become complicated  ... - What precisely do you mean by
'Grecco-Roman' value system?

2. What actually are the concepts concerning human rights particular to  the
Confucian Value system?     Furthermore:  Are there  no differences
concerning these concepts between Chinese and Korean Confucianism? In how
far did these concepts vary in the course of history? In how far did the
reception/acceptance of these concepts vary among different social strata?

Sincerely,
Joerg Plassen,
Asst. , Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum