[KS] Re: the "white males" question

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:02:53 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Ms. Oum:

thank you for the bibliography, but I'm not that behind on things as we
have
reconstructed our categories.  However, the point remains if that is
what
you meant, then use it, but mark it.  Remember this is a list with a
varied
membership.  We have different terms and areas of reference.  We are
trying
to speak to a wider audience.  so when we get into such discussions as
this
thread which can be very tricky....we remember that we are not
conversing,
nor are we reading and commenting on carefully crafted papers that have
terms defined and assumptions spelled out.  In the heat of such
exchanges
qualification would be helpful to de-personalize such issues.  We are
all
negotiating between our smaller communities of interest with their
implied
understandings of various issues, and wider audiences that necessarily
do
not share those assumptions immediately.  Wasn't this the point of the
discussion of language and the issue of the use of the word "boys."

Best Wishes,

MR