[KS] Re: homosexuality in South Korea & Lou Harrison

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 11 12:05:19 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear List:

I think the comments passed on by Stephen remind us that there is a
significant gap in the public presentation and private operation of
sexual behavior in Korea.  Our friends who are interested in the issue
of homosexuality in Korea need remember that there are with the study of
any society huge gaps between what can be learned in the public sphere
and how people will behave in private.  Least we forget this when making
pronouncements about "the Koreans do this or that, or are this or
that."  Having worked with Korean historical materials for years, I'm
convinced that at best we really only get the very tip of the iceberg
with any written document, or, for that matter, the individual
pronouncements of experts, Korean or American.  Just as we know that so
much of the way Korean organizations, institutions, or movements are
driven by the elusive and usually unrecoverable personal ties between
people....it is not hard to understand that half of the Korean
population might be "available" for experimentation with same sex
contact.  Personally, I've always found Koreans to be remarkably free of
a number of moral and behavioral prejudices that Americans harbor so
annoyingly with regard to sex.  They have other prejudices and norms of
conformity that make their lives equally difficult.

Mike Robinson