[KS] Re: voting rights [was: Koreans in Japan]

Dr. John Caruso Jr. carusoj at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 3 22:05:24 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

One hundred years ago, U.S. troops captured the island of Puerto Rico, along
with Cuba and the Philippines, in the Spanish-American War. Cuba and the
Philippines achieved independence, but Puerto Rico's status remained
unclear, a political football domestically and on the island. The debate
over self-governance for island residents has been addressed in piecemeal
fashion and only gained steam in the last half-century.

During WWI, in 1917 fears about German expansion in the Caribbean & Mexico
(remember Zimmerman Telegram) triggered the U.S. purchase of the Virgin
Islands from Denmark for $25 million. When residents of the island were
offered U.S. citizenship, Puerto Rico was included in the deal. World War II
and the Cold War with the former USSR drove the move in 1952 to establish
commonwealth status for the island because of concerns again for Caribbean
security and the Panama Canal.

The result has been a strange status of commonwealth where Puerto Ricans do
not pay federal taxes and cannot vote in presidential or congressional
elections. They elect a governor and a non-voting delegate to Congress,
called a resident commissioner.  Perhaps Korea would have ended up with this
status in the Empire of Japan.