[KS] RE: Olympic Partners?

Carlon Haas king_of_seoul at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 03:41:34 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

I also live in Korea and have noticed the same thing.
If you can get AFKN, then you can watch some others.
I like the Korean coverage in that they don't have all
the "human interest" stories and tend to just show the
games.  However, they only show sports that Koreans
are competeing in.  In other words, if Korea is out of
it, then we ain't watchin' it.  It is more annoying
for me personally, but then again if you are familiar
with Korean Sports TV, then this Olympic coverage
should not be a surprise.  I once wanted to watch a
game and saw the Dodger game advertised.  But when I
turned it on, it only showed every Pak pitch, and no
Dodger batting at all.  It only showed highlights of a
Dodgers home run.

I don't know what to think of it.  Is it ethnocentrism
at its finest?  Or perhaps Koreans just want to see
their heroes (Korean, that is).  The most coverage I
ever saw of Koreans at the Olympics on American TV was
in 1988 when the one Korean boxer sat in the ring for
3 hours.  Good stuff, that was.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  On a side note, as a former
fencer I have to give kudos to Kim Young-ho (I hope
that's right) for capturing gold in Men's foil.  I
thought I wouldn't get to watch fenceing on Korean TV
and he made it all possible for me.  Way to go!!!!

=====
Carlon Haas

http://www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul