[KS] Re: Mori's cockamie ideas

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Sat Sep 9 22:09:27 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

>A completely different subject though, the better I learn Korean the more I
>find there are quite a few Dutch, German and French words in Korean. For
>the Dutch I think the explanation lies in the fact that the same words
>exist in Japanese as well, the German words; that medicine was mainly
>introduced in Japan by German doctors in Japan, but I am curious about the
>French ones though, one that jumps in mind is Manto (French Manteau)

I would cross-check the French words with older dictionaries of the other
European languages, personally. It seems most likely to me that individual
French words, particularly nouns, would have come by that way, rather than
on their own. Dutch, English, German, and Russian all have plenty of French
in them. Manteu, for example,is a perfectly good English word.

Richard
--Richard C. Miller
--UW School of Music
--Manado, Indonesia