[KS] Koreans in Japan

Robert Ramsey sr1 at umail.umd.edu
Sun Sep 3 11:18:07 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

The subject of intermarriage between Koreans and Japanese is an interesting one.  A few years
ago I read an article in a Japanese magazine (Bungei Shunju? --unfortunately I didn't save the
reference) on the lives of Koreans in Japan.  Among other interesting claims, the article
described intermarriage with Japanese as anything but rare; instead, it was said to be the
rule.  The statistical number given was surprisingly high--I seem to recall that it was over
50% of recorded marriages.  That number sounds exaggerated, and it may well have been (or my
memory of the article may be flawed).  Does anyone have the facts?

Robert Ramsey
sr1 at umail.umd.edu