[KS] Paradigm

Brother Anthony anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Tue Sep 5 03:14:17 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

I think that the original message was objecting to the fact that when we
romanize Korean, we tend to romanize the hangul spelling of English
words, instead of writing them as they are written in English. To which I
can only say that it's the rule of the game in formal academic contexts,
the Library of Congress cataloguing rules, for example. In part it's
because it is not always clear what the original word was. This morning,
I was puzzling over someone's attempt to reconstitute the original of a
hangul transcription: "Eissen Province University." I finally recognized
the faint shadow of "Aix-en-Provence" lurking in the background. There
are certainly innumerable paradigms littering the pages of some academic
papers I have been struggling over recently, it's an in word.
Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Soul.