[KS] (no subject)

owner-korean-studies at iic.edu owner-korean-studies at iic.edu
Mon Sep 25 17:53:04 EDT 2000

Dear Korean Studies list:
Sender: owner-korean-studies at iic.edu

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Off and on over the last few years there have been a good number of
requests that this list exercise greater control over what gets posted
on it.  Not least, this applies to the oops-I-pressed-the-wrong-button
personal messages that go out to everyone.  But it also applies to a
fair number of messages that have little applicability to the scholarly
investigation of Korean studies, or which simply waste our time.

I would remind you all of the basic description of the list:  "The list
is open to all with a scholarly interest in Korean studies, and exists
for the purpose of keeping the often isolated members of the Korean
studies community in touch with each other and in fruitful
communication.  All discussions are archived and may easily be retrieved
by anyone with a Web browser.  The list welcomes academic discussions on
any aspect of Korean studies and may also be used for posting
announcements of publications, job vacancies, requests for bibliographic
information, and so forth."  The core words here are "scholarly",
"academic", and "Korean studies", and we urge all who submit postings to
the list to be sure they have a scholarly or academic point to make, and
that they make the point succinctly and clearly.

General discussions of Korean society remain welcome, but should be
informed by careful thought and reflection, as some of our recent ones
have been.

We're going to try the moderated approach at least for a trial period of
three months or so, and in the first instance I will be the moderator.
Please continue to send in messages, initiate new areas of discussion,
and so forth -- it is not our intention to stop discussion, but merely
to keep it within the guidelines of the list.

Thanks in advance for your continued interest and participation!

Rob Provine
provine at wam.umd.edu