[KS] Re: Koreans in Japan

Dr. John Caruso Jr. carusoj at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 3 16:02:06 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Representations of
Amerasians in Japan
By Stephen Murphy-Shigematsu

A version of this article appeared in
Japanese Society, Volume 1 (1996), pp 61-76

Abstract

Among the diverse people who comprise the Japanese society are those of
mixed ancestry, or multiethnic people. These individuals are products of
contact between the Japanese majority and people of various ethnic minority
groups. Although Japanese of Okinawan ancestry are depicted as living in
isolation on their islands there has been considerable intermarriage between
them and mainland Japanese Persons of Korean ancestry are represented as
hopelessly divided from Japanese but they also have intermarried and
produced numerous multiethnic offspring. Other minorities such as those of
Ainu and Chinese ancestry have also contributed to this population of
persons of mixed ancestry through intermarriage.

The number of multiethnic persons is hard to calculate because the
government keeps no records distinguishing nationals by ethnic background.
What can be determined is the number of marriages between Japanese and those
of foreign nationality. With an intermarriage rate between Japanese and
foreigners now comprising approximately 3.5 percent of all marriages
(Ministry of Health and Welfare, 1993), the number of multiethnic
individuals will certainly increase. With spouses and children of Japanese
citizens receiving preferential treatment in immigration, permanent
residence and naturalization their tendency to settle in Japan will also
continue to grow.