[KS] Re: 'Memoir' defames Korean culture

Young Kyun Oh youngoh at asu.edu
Mon Sep 11 14:15:46 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

The Hanyu da cidian has entries for both "hunxue (honhyOl in Korean)" and
"hunxue-er (honhyOra in Korean)".  The examples given for the useage are all
from modern literature, none from traditional literature.  The first
example--usually the earliest example found--for "hunxue" is by Mao Zedong
(Mao Tse-tung) in his "Shi da guanxi," roughly translated: "The population
of the Han (Chinese) race is large, and maybe it has been formed by multiple
races mixing blood for a long period of time.."  It is interesting to note
that "hunxue" seems to have been used here as a verb phrase, not as a
nominal term ("hun4 xue3 er2 cheng2").  The Han-guk Hanja-O sajOn does not
have "honhyOl" or "honhyOra," neither does the Yijo-O sajOn.  It could be an
indication that the terms are not found in the traditional Korean literature
in classical Chinese.

As for the derogatory term "twigi," the Yijo-O sajOn has an entry for
"t'Uk," which quotes an explanation "(a foal) of which a horse is the father
and an ox (=cow) is the mother, or vice versa, is called t'Uk."  "T'Uk-i,"
again in the Yijo-O sajOn, is identified with the Sino-Korean term "kyOlje,"
by which it means a "pOsae (a hinny)" in Korea (Tae Han Han sajOn).  "POsae"
is described to be from a male horse and a female donkey, which is larger
than "nosae (a mule)" but smaller than a donkey. (KyOremal k'Un sajOn)

Since I was sitting next to the dictionaries....

Young Kyun Oh