[KS] Globalisation and the Korean Automotive Industry.

Sam Godfrey sam_g at picknowl.com.au
Mon Dec 10 04:42:20 EST 2001

Currently completing my masters degree in international studies i have spent
three years researching "Globalisation and the Korean Automotive Industry.
After interviewing over 50 people ranging from senior management of Korea's
automotive manufactures to government officals a number of conclusions have
been reached on the state of globalisation in this industry. A key component
of this research has been to investigate the United Nations measure of
transnationality. Using the transnationality index the research has tabled
changes in the world automotive industy by manufacturer over the last 10
years. In an effort to compare this with Korea, I have found for each of
Koreas four major automotive producers their total assets, total sales in
dollars and total employment level. Unfortunately after searching the world
I have been unable to find what their foreign assets, employment and sales
level are for each manufacturer.

This has left my research short of its objective of using a measurable
formula to determine globalisation. In need of advice I ask for suggestions
on how to find this information for each manufacturer or to find the
information for the entire industry. Alternatively a new measure that could
be used to determine "Globalisation in the Korean Automotive Industry.

Cheers

Sam Godfrey
Adelaide, Australia
sam_g at picknowl.com.au