[KS] perspectives on Korean history

Marion Eggert Marion.Eggert at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 10 05:00:07 EST 2001

Dear Mark,
I agree wholeheartedly with your view on Korea being invaded all the
time, although I think that the Sui and Tang invasions of Koguryô should
count: after all, these were attempts to restore imperial legitimation
by recovering the lands that hat been dominated by the Han. Had the Sui
and Tang been successful, they wouldn't have stopped at the Yalu.
However, I dare to disagree a little with the corresponding myth that
Korea never invaded others, as long as this is to underline the peaceful
character of Korean civilization. It is strikingly true only as long as
one sticks, for both subject and object of invasion, to the concept of a
unified "country" with well-defined central power and clear borders.
Only then do the expansiveness of Koguryô or the struggles of Chosôn
Korea to push its northern border well beyond that of Koryô drop out of
the picture. I guess it is fair to say that at most times, states on the
Korean peninsula tried to extend their sphere of influence as far as
possible, but usually found themselves checked by other powers
surrounding them.
I don't see why one should write anything counter to one's  knowledge in
a popular format. You might refer to the "mythical" view and refute it
in the same breath, e.g. by pointing out that the Chinese coast suffered
from the Japanese pirate "invasions" as well.
Looking forward with you to more enlightening contributions by others,
Marion