[KS] RE: Korea-mania in China

Young-Key Kim-Renaud kimrenau at gwu.edu
Wed Oct 3 20:02:31 EDT 2001

Dear Eugene and others,

During a short trip to Vietnam last summer, I was surprised to learn from a
dignified concierge of a fancy hotel in Ho Chi Minh City that he and many of
his friends faithfully watched a Korean serialized TV drama (YOnsokkUk).
Contrary to what your Korean colleagues suggested, my impression was that
those Vietnamese viewers saw in the Korean-export dramas something "Asian" and
"non-Western" such as "family values" (in the words of the concierge), with
which they felt they could empathize.  Plus, Korean actors and performers look
much more like them than those in Hollywood productions, thus making the story
or performance look more realistic, familiar, and close.  That little "Asian"
flavor in those seemingly Westernized cultural productions by Koreans may be
what might attract these other Asian audiences including many Japanese,
working as a kind of anti-dote to overly homogenizing or "colonial" global
culture.  Finally, there is this notion of a "role model" in the sense that
many Vietnamese and Chinese seem to want to emulate the level of economic and
cultural achievements of Koreans they have come to appreciate.  It looks to me
like a solidarity of some sort.  From a totally different perspective, there
is a certain addictive element in these serialized Korean dramas.  Once you
start watching one, it is hard to just drop it.  For me, it is a little like
going back home, too.

Yours,
YK.

Young-Key Kim-Renaud
Professor of Korean Language and Culture and International Affairs
The George Washington University

<parkey at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu> =====