[KS] Re: To the Observer of Korean Politics

C.E.Williamson uiliwill at nuri.net
Wed Oct 24 18:49:50 EDT 2001

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Mr.Pankaj Mohan <mohan at hum.ku.dk>:  I am not defending anyone or
anything.
The situation in China is worlds apart from that of Korea during the
50s/60s/70s and even 80sm, in my "observation." China is not divided
into
two separate states each looking and making opportunitities to overcome
the
other.  Think about this.  If the displayed upheval at Tiananmen Square
was
successful and the communist regime collapsed at that time, would the
opposition have been able to assume the role of government and maintain
order?  Do you think they had a plan to "govern?" The effect, which was
make an international statement, sufficed for that time in history.

However, I stick by my assertion that democracy does not fall from the
sky.
Even if an opposition comes to power, the population needs to have the
value
system to ensure that democratic government works.

While the odds are in favor of a country like Yugoslavia where there is
fundamental understanding of democratic values, Asia and the Asian
historical experience can account for differences in perception of
democracy
and the value system that goes along with it.

For example, people in America would not tolerate massive numbers of
motorcycle riders driving on the sidewalk and threatenting one's
personal
security without lodging a complaint; wherein Korea, it is a quite
common
practice, despite being a violation of the law.  There is quite a
difference
between where one's civil rights end and begin in Korea and in the
United
States. Still, Korea is perceived from afar to be democratic just
because
elections are held, in peace.

As for my disparaging (I prefer to say critical) comments about the
recent
Nobel Prize "winner" as is proudly talked about, contrasted to
"awarded,"
lately, well, it is still common knowledge here in Korea that he was the
recipient of numerous apple boxes filled with Won (even he admitted to
it)
and his record shows shifting of political allegiances and allignments
over
the years, even with the meanie dictators like Chun Doo Whan.  I
reiterate,
from afar, the Forth and Fifth Republics really looked evil, but from
close
up and compared to the actual level of civic duty held by "citizens" of
South Korea, even ordinary Koreans were and are grateful for the
positive
deeds of Korea's recent dictators.  I personally think that had Kim Dae
Jung
not been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, his compulsion to oppose
the
intents of Park Choung Hee would not have been as intense.

The metaphor of someone getting into a truck to "run down" Kim Dae Jung
was
used in this forum.  In my view, a more accurate rendition would be that
Kim
Dae Jung persistantly jumped in front of that truck--a truck built to
help
an impoverished nation.  I witnessed that poverty in the mid and late
sixties and was shocked at seeing corpses dead from starvation and
exposure.
I saw with my eyes gangs of roving youth without jobs at that time too.
Then when I returned again to live here during the late 1970s, that sort
of
poverty had nearly disappeared as had the gangs of roving youth.  The
country was then "ready" for democratization.  Modern history clearly
shows
that democracy cannot exist as long as there is extreme poverty and no
jobs.
You are free to disagree all you want, but I am convinced. By the way,
if
one violates a law time and again, shouldn't one be arrested?  That was
why
Kim Dae Jung was arrested, he violated laws of the ROK.  Now, you say
the
laws were bad.  Why were the laws bad?  I say because the National
Assembly
was bad.  Why was the Nat'l Assembly bad? I say because the assemble men
simply had not internalized values that are required of National
Assemblymen
or Assemblywomen to cut-off being politically incorrect.  So, how did
such
people get elected?  I say, they were elected in ways that did not meet
the
criteria for a wholesome democratic country at that time.  Common
knowledge
here is that Kim Young Sam's wealthy father played a role in getting YS
into
the National Assembly as the youngest ever.  Money played an important
role
in sparking capitalism in South Korea during the late 40s and onward.  A
non-captialist, non democratic nation does not self-start.  The pump had
be primed.

Of course, you don't have to take my word.  Just look into Korea's
modern
history with a "critical" as opposed to "disparaging" eye and it becomes
clear. And, if I might add, don't just rely on Western sources nor only
on
sources written in English.  Read some original documents written by
Koreans
themselves in Korean-most enlightening.  Afterall, a people should be
able
to determin their own destination...a fundamental value of Western
democracy
wouldn't you agree?

C.E.Williamson
really not a mean guy