[KS] Chuch'e

Bruce Cumings bcumings at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 11 11:16:52 EST 2002

Dear Leonid,

This document is most interesting, especially with kukch'e then being the
reigning doctrine of militarist Japan, i.e., kokutai. I once made a link
between the two, and some Koreans in the South said that was not possible
because kokutai meant "national body," as in an organic, integral, unified
nation. Whereupon I said, this is nothing more than rightwing organic
politics practiced all over the world in the 1930s, which also appealed to
left-wing nationalists in places like Korea, Rumania (Manoilescu), etc.

But I needed this reference to make the point well.

Best,

Bruce