[KS] Special Leave

Ruediger Frank rfrank at eplus-online.de
Wed Jan 9 05:36:07 EST 2002

Dear Mr. Prendergast,

After a brief screening the labor laws I know, I could find not much on the
points you have mentioned, especially on special leave. So I guess they are
subject to voluntary agreement between employer and employee.

Here is the information I found on paid leave in general.

As far as I can tell, the act in question is the Labor Standards Act (³ëµ¿
±Ù·Î±âÁعý), introduced on March 13, 1997 by Act No. 5309 and last amended
(in the latest version I have) by Act. No. 5885 on February 8, 1999.

According to article 54 of the Act and 25 of the Enforcement Decree (³ëµ¿
±Ù·Î±âÁعý½ÃÇà·É), at least one paid holiday shall be granted to a person
with perfect attendance of contractual working days during a period of one
week.

According to article 57 of the Act and article 27 of the Enforcement
Decree, a one day's paid leave shall be granted to a person with perfect
attendance of contractual working hours during a period of one month.

According to article 59 of the Act, an employer shall grant ten days of
paid leaves annually to workers who have worked for one year without
absence and eight days to those who have registered an attendance of not
less than 90% during one year.

In the same article, the workers are given the right to get another day of
annual leave per year of employment (after a grace period of two years). If
the total number of paid leaves exceeds 20 days, ordinary wages may be paid
for the number of days in excess instead.

Article 71 grants women a one day's menstruation paid leave per month (but
I think this has recently been abolished or it is planned to do so, maybe
others on the list can help us out here?).

ACHTUNG: What is strange is that the maternity leave in the contract you
cite is not paid, since Article 72 of the Labor Standards Act explicitly
grants pregnant women a sixty day's PAID maternity leave before and after
childbirth, provided, that not less than 30 days shall be granted after
childbirth. The LSA in principle applies to businesses with not less than
five ordinarily employed workers (Article 10).

The term "special leave" and marriage are not mentioned at all. On
funerals, I only found Article 86 of the Labor Standards Act referring to
accident compensation: If a worker who dies during the performance of his
duties or as a result thereof, the employer has to provide funeral expenses
equivalent to the average wage  of 90 days.

That's all I have. Did you ask the Ministry of Labor (www.molab.go.kr)?
According to my experience, often legislation is hidden in Ministerial
Ordinances, which do not need the consent of the National Assembly.

Best,

Ruediger Frank