[KS] pyongyang kamsa

Lee, Young-Jun lee41 at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 16 21:18:26 EST 2002

Dear professor Junghee Lee:

If you have Lee Ki-baik's "A New History of Koea," see pp.176-178.
According to the book, and as far as I know, "Pyongyang kamsa" is the governor of Pyongan province.
He would be called "pyongYANG kamsa", because his office was there.
As his term was no more than one year, he was kind of an inspector from Seoul.
Consequently, he must have enjoyed very much in Pyongyang, where is well known for "Saekhyang" or "town of entertainers."
James Palais's "Confucian Statecraft and ..." would be helpful as well; see chapter 18, pp. 673-704.

With best wishes,
Young-Jun Lee