[KS] P'ansori at Edinburgh Festival

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 05:21:41 EST 2003

Members of the list may be interested in this year's Edinburgh
International Festival, the programme of which has just been
announced (on www.eif.co.uk).
The festival will feature p'ansori, and to my knowledge, the scope of
what is planned is a 'first': rather like a Ring Cycle but with less
singers, complete performances of the five repertories will run over
five successive nights, each sung in Korean with English supertitles.
The schedule (giving names and the English titles as they appear on
the website):

Thursday 14 August: The Saga of Heungbo, sung by Kim Soo-yeon. (2 hours)
Friday 15 August: The Saga of the Red Cliff, sung by Kim Il-goo. (3
hours, 30 minutes)
Saturday 16 August: The Song of Simcheong, sung by Kim Young-ja. (4 hours)
Sunday 17 August: The Song of Chunhyang, sung by Ahn Suk-son. (5
hours, 30 minutes)
Monday 18 August: The Saga of the Underwater Palace, sung by Cho
Tong-dal. (3 hours, 30 minutes)
Two drummers will feature: Jung Hwa-young and Lee Tae-baek.

I've been asked to present a study day on 14 August, before the first
p'ansori performance, and the musicians also join together for a late
evening performance of selected sanjo pieces on 13 August. For those
interested in other East Asian musics, there is Chinese music on 11
and 12 August, and Japanese music on 17 and 18 August, plus a concert
of recent compositions by Isang Yun and Unsuk Chin on 14 August
(after Hungboga), and a further study day on East Asian music
co-ordinated by my colleague David Hughes on 10 August.

I've been to the EIF several times in recent years, and my advice to
anybody interested in going is to book accommodation as early as you
can. The website says that the online booking system for concerts
opens on 14 April.
--
Dr Keith Howard
Senior Lecturer in Music, SOAS,