[KS] minjung movement

Welscher,H H.Welscher at lse.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 14:29:50 EDT 2003

Dear all:

I am currently working on my Master dissertation on the minjung movement. As you know, the dominant narrative in Development Studies mostly portrays Korea's modernisation as "smooth process", focusing on the reason for its economic miracle, the state - business relationship, the developmental state, selective industrial policies, middle-class led democratisation etc.- all in all it seems Korea is the last resort of orthodox modernisation theory.
In my dissertation I want to critically engage with this narrative, focusing on the social and cultural resistance against the state-led modernisation and its negative impacts. Concentrating on the minjung movement, I especially want to emphasize the role of culture or the invention/rediscovery of traditions (i.e. shamanism, rural communitarianism) in countering the state nationalism (with a populist nationalism) and creating broad social coalitions.
I would be very grateful if anyone of you could help me with any personal discussion comments, suggestions for readings, past papers etc. on the above topic.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Hartmut Welscher,
MSc Candidate in Development Studies