[KS] even literature types

Michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:56:50 EDT 2003

EP Thompson refers to History as the "ruthless discipline of context."  I
can see backward perhaps, but only vaguely forward.  And since the crucial
contextual pieces are unknown we historians are unfortunately in the same
position as the pundit and blatherers who unfortunately do all the
predicting.  Not even the scholarly political science types do much
predicting anymore as they were always wrong 50% of th time....they have
retreated to useless theory.  And If they are careful they always have some
small chance of being right if the questions are narrow enough.  What we can
do is to provide background for what I believe might be better guesses, but
no more than that.  So I think you have look elsewhere for crystal ball
gazers. And if I weigh in during the discussion as MANY of us historians ARE
doing, then it is as informed citizens whose counter statements and
alternate conclusions hopefully are more persuasive than the crap dished out
on the talk-shows.  No more, no less.

Mike R.