[KS] Korean Queer Studies Forum: A Call to Convene

Todd Henry htodd98 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 00:36:24 EST 2003

Could you kindly post the following message to the list?  Thanks.

Best,

Todd A. Henry
PhD Candidate in History, UCLA

Korean Queer Studies Forum: A Call to Convene

Queer life in South Korea is at a crossroads.  2003 has seen both the
suicide of a 19-year-old gay man named Yun Hy?-s?, who chose to die rather
than submit to the oppressive norms imposed on him by Korean society, and a
parade of jubilant queer men, women, and their friends, who marched together
from the symbolically significant Pagoda Park down Chongno.  Many other less
noticeable but equally significant events have been taking place,
developments that shed light both on the status of Korea’s queer communities
and their evolving relationships with South Korea’s rapidly changing
mainstream of society, politics, and culture.

Unfortunately, these developments receive almost no attention in the
country’s press, by Korean academics, or through the activities of overseas
scholars, activists and other concerned individuals.  When Korean newspapers
do cover such issues, the existence of non-normative sexuality and gender is
often erased from the discussion all together, filled instead with
statements that reinforce a hetero-normative status quo.  Outside of the
media, academic debate about queer issues at Korea‘s universities still
remains something of a taboo, carried on largely by a few underground
intellectuals who are forced to talk about non-normative gender and
sexuality through already marginalized programs such as women’s studies.
Although queer groups now exist on Korean university campuses, pressures to
conform to prescriptive notions of sexuality require that they carry out
many of their activities in anonymity.  Such a context feeds into a campus
culture that provides important opportunities for social and cultural
inter-actions, but discourages active discussions of important issues like
how to deal with colleagues at school and in the workplace, how to navigate
complex family relations including the unequivocal expectation of marriage,
and a host of other pressing issues.  With the exception of translations
from American and European studies on gender and sexuality outside of the
Korean context, there is, to this date, not one Korean-language book that
students can read on queer issues specifically pertaining to the Korea.
Furthermore, few scholars of Korea working outside of the peninsula have
taken up the important historical, economic, social, political and cultural
issues that are crucial to both a theoretical and practical knowledge of the
obstacles faced by the queer communities in the context of an emerging
“civil society?in contemporary South Korea.

The following call for the creation of a Korean Queer Studies Forum is
informed by this situation ?that is, the perceived absence of a critical
intellectual discussion on issues of importance to the queer communities of
South Korea, in spite of their relevance to the contemporary situation both
in and outside of the peninsula.  We, therefore, are seeking to gather a
body of critically minded scholars, journalists, artists and other concerned
individuals who are willing to discuss these issues and work together to put
them in print.  We hope that this forum will include both Korean and
non-Korean citizens alike, as trans-national links will be an important way
for us to gather diverse ideas and ways to approach the issues of our
debate.  We hope to convene a preliminary meeting in Seoul late this year
(2003) or early next year (2004), for those of you who will be in Korea at
that time.  In the meantime, we would like to gather a list of individuals
who are already working on queer issues relating to Korea, and who might be
interested in participating in this forum (ie. via a bilingual internet
site).  If so, please forward to the following email address
(htodd98 at hotmail.com) your name, affiliation (if you have one), area of
interest, and contact information (email and/or phone number).  Once we hear
back from interested individuals, we will send out an email announcing the
time and place of the preliminary meeting.

We thank all of you in advance for your interest and concern in this
endeavor.

In solidarity,

Todd Henry (PhD Candidate in History, University of California-Los Angeles)
S?Dong-jin (PhD Candidate in Sociology, Yonsei University)

Forum Co-Founders/Organizers