[KS] Re: most Christian city in Asia

Timsanglee at aol.com Timsanglee at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 22:32:55 EST 2003

Below is a quote relevant to our discussion.  It's from Syncretism: The
Religious Context of Christian Beginnings in Korea (New York: SUNY Press, 2001) by
David Chung, who died a year or so ago:

"The Protestant church, especially Presbyterianism, grew so rapidly and
strongly that a prominent visitor [fn. #44] to the provincial capital, P'yongyang,
is said to have named it a 'Jerusalem.'" (53)

Looking up the footnote #44, I find "John R. Mott."  But that's it!  There's
no reference to Mott's work, or whether Mott meant a Jerusalem of the East or
Jerusalem of Korea.  So the hunt continues, albeit narrowed down somewhat,
unless Chung has thrown us a red herring.

Best,

Timothy S. Lee
Brite Divinity School (TCU)