[KS] Again, Haneunim (and the Trinity)

James H Grayson J.H.Grayson at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 11:43:27 EST 2003

15.12.03

Dear List,
John Ross was looking for was an indigenous term for a high god
which he could use to represent the one and only God of Christian
theology.  From his writings, quoted by Timothy Lee, and
elsewhere it is clear that Ross queried his collaborators about a
number of terms and found most unsatisfactory for various reasons.
>From what I have read of his writings, I think that if there wasn't a
'pure' Korean term to use, he would have settled for Sangje. That
he didn't indicates to me that he was satisfied that the term he
selected had currency.  I understand the argument about a lack of
written evidence for a term like 'Hananim' but I think that it is
unlikely that people such as the leaders of the early Catholic
community would use terms which weren't Sino-Korean, even if
they were writing in Han'gul for two reasons - terminology for them
would have been based on Chinese characters (as we used Greek
and Latin), and secondly, because Ch'onju was a fixed term for
them. I think that we do have to distinguish between terms as
'names' and terms used as descriptors. I suspect that 'Hananim'
and variants fits into the latter category.  I think that the idea of a
high god existed before the advent of either form of Christianity, and
we need to distinguish between names for things, and terms of
description.

The attempt to develop a Korean root for Trinitarian theology I
believe can be traced in the post-Korean War era to theologians
searching for an indigenous theology, particularly Yun Songbom,
former President of the Methodist Theological Seminary, Soul.

Best wishes,
James H. Grayson
Prof. James H Grayson, Ph.D.
Director, Centre for Korean Studies