[KS] Cheering and sports

Koen De Ceuster koen.de.ceuster at pandora.be
Sun Dec 28 05:55:22 EST 2003

Dear List,

Building on the 1936 reference Ross King gave, I would like to expand the
issue to the development of sports in colonial Korea. Looking into the
history of modern sports, certainly also will give us a clue as to where the
term 'p'ait'ing' originated.

The 1920s were a period when modern (spectator) sports were still being
introduced to the Korean public. The YMCA took a lead  role in this
introduction (though not exclusively). Of great importance for the
development of the YMCA sports programme, was Byron Barnhart, who arrived in
March 1916 in Korea to take up the position of manager of the YMCA sports
department (ch'eyukbu). He stayed until his extradition in 1940.

In my article 'Wholesome Education and Sound Leisure: the YMCA Sports
Programme in Colonial Korea' (European Journal of East Asian Studies,
Vol.2-1 [2003],  pp. 53-88), I show how B.P. Barnhart looked beyond the
'sportsmanship' of the athletes, to the development of a sound fan culture.
Team commitment in both athlete and fan was thought of as a major character
building aspect of sports.

It can be surmised that both the YMCA, and mission schools (read
missionaries) were involved in organizing fans, and introducing an
American-style fan culture (this could be an extremely interesting addition
to my own research! Did formal cheering squads exist; what did their
'training' consist of; did they have songbooks?).

Not just foreigners, but also the Korean YMCA sports staff - quite a number
of them American-trained teachers, with sometimes even a stint in their
respective US school team (e.g. Ho Song, Chang Kwon) - were thoroughly
influenced by American sports culture, and must have had their fair share in
the development of fan culture.

So, it seems highly likely that indeed the colonial period is where we have
to look for the origins of the term 'p'ait'ing'. But at the same time, we
have to look beyond Japan as the mediator for the introduction of this term,
to a direct American connection.

Best wishes,

Koen De Ceuster