[KS] Re: Koreanstudies digest, Vol 1 #517 - 3 msgs

Walter K. Lew Lew at humnet.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 2 01:23:00 EST 2003

Good advice, Scotty. Glad to know you finally found a girlfriend!

Also glad to know that "pan-mi" sentiment is just "desire for
acknowledgement," a Hegelian Other-ordaining, subjectivity-granting
glance or wink in a midnight subway from young American men when they
are "surrounded by drunken ajosshi's everywhere" (Seems like all
ajosshi's are always already drunk, lurching out of every corner of
Seoul, right? Hey, I may have been one of 'em!). I mean I thought
pan-mi kamjOng had something to do with revived Cold War geopolitics,
two country schoolgirls crushed by an incompetently driven and
maintained Army vehicle distortedly reported and lightly dismissed,
the basing of 40,000 US troops w nuclear capability in the heart of
one's dependent country, and the concomitant inability to realize
one's dream of reunification with the northern provinces where every
day the hope of seeing one's separated family members tragically
dwindles. (My father gave up hope long ago.)

That's right!--I shd have remembered: it's like when anti-Americanism
was all abt a botched call in the Winter Olympics speed skating
competition! I don't know why I exaggerate things so much. After all,
Koreans are such passionate sports fans and they just want to hear
and say, Hello!

--Walter K. Lew