[KS] A chopsticks question

Gary Rector / Yu gary at korealore.com
Mon Feb 17 23:50:42 EST 2003

Koreans use metal chopsticks traditionally, but nowadays
they do also use lacquered bamboo or wooden ones in
Japanese restaurants and even plastic ones in Chinese
restaurants. The metal ones are still the ones that are
regarded as "Korean." I don't think metal chopsticks are
used in any other country. As for why, I'm not sure there's
a good answer to that, but I susect in has to do with the
fact that Koreans developed a fairly high level of metallurgical
technology early on. By the way, rice bowls and soup bowls
are also traditionally of metal.

Gary Rector