[KS] 500 Won in 1911?

joshua john van lieu sumnom at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 18 03:50:39 EST 2003

Hello,

I believe in 1911 there were no won. The currency of the realm was the
Japanese yen, yes? Whether it was 500 yen or 500 won, it would have been
a very stiff fine indeed. I am not sure about how much spending power one yen
would have had at that time but I have been reading a number of books published
in Korea in the early 20th century. Then, as now, the price was included
on the final page. In 1907, <<Wollam manguksa>> (93 pages) was priced at
25 chon. A child's geography text published in 1909 was priced at 40
(Korean) chon. A several hundred page text on Korean history published
in 1927 was priced at 3.5 yen. The back page of another 1927 text has a list of
publications from Tokhung Sorim Publishers ranging in price for 20 sen for a
single volume biography of Silla Munmyong Wanghu to 17.70 yen for a twenty
volume annotated set of the Confucian classics.

I don't know if this helps but at least you might be able to see how many
books 500 yen/won would have bought.

Joshua Van Lieu