[KS] Re: A chopsticks question

Max Christian max at max.tc
Wed Feb 19 13:25:00 EST 2003

At 12:00 19/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Don Valiant" <dsvaliant at eml.cc>
>
>I have always entertained the notion that Koreans use metal chopsticks
>simply because they are more suitable for the numerous Korean dishes
>grilled at the dinner table.  It seems that wooden or plastic chopsticks
>wouldn't last beyond a few rounds of samgyupsal/galbi/etc. before
>succumbing to the heat.
>
>Would love feedback on this notion.

Well, here's the story I've been told on this subject (by a Korean):

Until the Olympics in the 1980's, Koreans used metal chopsticks at
home but wooden (disposable) chopsticks in restaurants.  The latter
was made illegal for environmental reasons and the law was strictly
enforced for some time, although it has now been relaxed.

So it sounds like metal chopsticks are an instance of the
Korean improve-everything attitude (cheaper, more environmentally
friendly) rather than a longstanding cultural thing.