[KS] nk data

Ruediger Frank rf2101 at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 24 15:16:32 EST 2003

Dear all,

I am looking for any standard North Korean data, newer than July 2002, in
NK Won (Foreign Trade does not make  much sense in this case). The 2003
budget is due in late March or April, so I am wondering whether any of you
has something else, like 2002 year-end statistics from Pyongyang or the like.

I need the data to answer the question whether the price changes of July
2002 have been a one-time inflation and if so, by which percentage. The
exchange rate vs. the US$ implies something like 6800%, the price of rice
55000%, etc. A standard basket of goods and services is unavailable for
statistical purposes. Seeing how the 2002 budget of about 20 billion Won
looks like after the changes would be the only way I could imagine to
answer the inflation question.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

Ruediger