[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 28 15:00:37 EST 2003

David McCann wrote:
>>  urged that a distinction be drawn between
>>  "anti-American" (ban-mi) and critical of American policies (bi-mi)

Got your point. But isn't this some academic approach of splitting
hairs on a bold head? Why would "the rest of the world" -- and
especially the "uncivilized" part of the world that maps President
Bush's understanding of the world, may want to make a distinction
that leading U.S. politicians are not capable or willing to make?
Talking about culture -- yes, sure, most nations are into American
culture on various levels. Maybe some anthropologist here could give
us more insights about this .... Few are against American culture,
POP culture, film culture, entertainment culture, shopping culture.
But by now this has been so much internalized around the world that
it isn't even seen as American anymore. And indeed, it isn't. If the
U.S. is harshly being criticized in South Korea, for example, then
nobody should expect this trend to stop at any point and expect that
people will make those hair-splitting academic distinctions when
burning American flags or what not.

Best,
Frank
==============================

Transcript of President Bush's first State of the Union address,
delivered to Congress Tuesday night (1/28/2003)

Mr. Speaker, Vice President Cheney, members of Congress,
distinguished guests, fellow citizens, as we gather tonight, our
nation is at war, our economy is in recession and the civilized world
faces unprecedented dangers.
(...)
The men and women of our armed forces have delivered a message now
clear to every enemy of the United States: Even 7,000 miles away,
across oceans and continents, on mountaintops and in caves you will
not escape the justice of this nation.
(...)
My budget supports three great goals for America: We will win this
war, we will protect our homeland, and we will revive our economy.
(...)
==========END OF QUOTE========