[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

Sallie Yea sallie.yea at rmit.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 16:54:21 EST 2003

Dear Mike,

I've just been there for 6 months researching. Because of the focus of my research I was actually around many of the places where protests were occuring. I was never hassled by anyone and actually spent some time listening to the demonstration speeches and collecting some flyers. I didn't have to say to anyone that I wasn't American (although I always carried my Australian passport just in case). I got the feeling that at the demonstrations people actually wanted individual non-Koreans to have a hightened awareness of their concerns.

Now, this does not negate the possibility of individual incidents BUT, if you look at the pattern, these tend to be clearly focused on US military personnel and bases. The US military are quite physically distinguishable from academics, students and other ex-pats in most cases.

I was slapped across the face in 1994 on a subway by a Korean male who yelled "f?@#$$ American bitch", so these inciudents can occur ANYTIME, whether there are heightened tensions or not. My advice would be for students not to draw attention to themselves and to not travel alone if possible. I think the tour should be fine if students bear the situation in mind.

Sallie.

Dr. Sallie Yea
Lecturer in International Development
Master of Social
Science (International Development)
School of Social Science and Planning
RMIT University
City Campus
GPO Box 2476V
Melbourne 3001
Australia

E-mail: Sallie.Yea at rmit.edu.au

Double click on http://www/tce.rmit.edu.au/interdev
to visit the RMIT International Development Website

Double click on http://www.tce.rmit.edu.au/ss&sw
to visit the Website of the School of Social Science
and Plan
>>> mrobinso at insightbb.com 01/28/03 23:28 PM >>>
Dear List:

I am working with a group who are preparing a study tour of Japan and Korea this summer.  It has taken quite a while to get the organizers to realize how valuable Korea is to such a tour.  Now I discover that the issue of "dangers" and Anti-Americanism has clouded the issue or whether to include Korea in this year's program.  We would be in Korea between roughly June 20-28.

My question to my colleagues living in the ROK is:  what is your assessment as to the actual chances of our tour members being hassled or set upon by Koreans who are upset at the recent string of U.S. gaffs on the peninsula and the rising trend of anti-Americanism reported in the U.S. press.  My sense is that there couldn't be a better summer to be in Korea and understand the underlying dynamics that have driven political development here for the last 50 years.

I need some ammunition to use against my liability focused organizers.

Thanks

Mike

Michael Robinson
East Asian Languages and Cultures