[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Tue Jan 28 19:44:31 EST 2003

Dear Mike,

Historically in Korea, as you well know, anti-American demonstrators have
been friendly and welcoming to individual Americans even while shouting
anti-American slogans(think of me blinking through the teargas at the Yonsei
main gate while the students tell me "we're so glad you came to see us
express our feelings.")  This time, however, there were more than the normal
number of incidents of physical harassment of individual foreigners who were
thought to be American, and not only of those who looked military.  These
incidents were widely reported in the international press, and I read about
them when I was in the US over Christmas and got a bit worried.  But now
that I'm back in Korea, the story appears different.

First, fortunately, the incidents seem to have stopped, as far as I can
tell; the "trend" is no longer "rising."  (The most recent demonstration was
60,000 churchgoers on the other side, who interestingly took care to
emphasize that they were not pro-American, but anti-anti-American.)  More to
the point, Fulbright has in Korea right now about 75 American grantees,
mostly young college graduates, mostly people who are not only American but
look like what Koreans think of as American.  These Fulbrighters have been
running all over the country for months; about a dozen have had siblings or
parents or grandparents visit them recently.  Though the Fulbright office
has strongly instructed all grantees to tell us about ANY incident, and
though all of them have heard startlingly anti-American sentiments from
Korean students and teachers, not a single Fulbrighter has reported a single
case of physical intimidation or even overt hostility directed at them
personally.

Tell your group to come.

Horace

Horace H. Underwood