[KS] Re: Anti-Americanism in Korea (in annoyingly practical detail)

Michael Hurt mhurt at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 28 23:32:18 EST 2003

Hello -

I've been a lurker here for some time, so I'll introduce myself
quickly. My name is Michael Hurt from UC Berkeley, presently in Korea
doing dissertation research related to national
ideology/race/nationalism. For those working in similar areas, please
drop me a line.

Regarding the Dr. Robinson's academic group visit to Korea, I concur
with everything said on the list, although I would like to add a few
things as a non-white Korean Studies guy working in Korea. Since I
first came here in 1994, I've noticed that there are certain situations
that are "high risk" for simple verbal harassment, which I think is as
likely to happen as it has ever been, and obviously even more so with
the recent wave of anti-Americanism. Still, my overall assessment is
that you shouldn't even worry about the possibility of there being a
physical altercation between a Korean and one of your visitors. It's
much more likely that they'll be involved in a traffic accident than a
scuffle over being a foreigner. Still, there are a few things that seem
to increase one's chances of people taking (sometimes negative) notice
of you.

1) Riding the #1 line at night, especially on the weekends. There seems
to be an older crowd on this train, and more people in this group tend
to be drunk at these times. Almost all the negative incidents I have
experienced in Korea (from being verbally harassed to being chased off
the platform) have occurred on the #1 line. It's a connector to a lot
of more rural places, as well as the line many GI's use to get back and
forth to other bases. In September, 3 soldiers were attacked (one
kidnapped and forced to apologize for the US military's crimes); I
wasn't at all surprised to hear that it was the #1 line they had been
taking to base.

2) Traveling in groups and speaking English in closed spaces. Although
not generally a problem, it definitely increases your visibility and
grates on some people's ears. Speaking English at the same volume level
as other Koreans in the same space still means you sound twice as loud.
Alone, I'm generally never even talked to - just ignored. When I
occasionally meet an American friend and are talking in public, I am
quickly reminded of how much more noticeable this makes us. As a pair,
I've had everything happen from people coming up and wanting to speak
English with us, to an airline stewardess asking us to be quiet
(although we were speaking no louder than any other person on the
plane) because a passenger had complained about our loudness. When a
large group of people speaking English is traveling around (and it
doesn't look like a tour group), it will be quite noticeable when
taking public transportation or walking in public places. I came to
Korea as a Fulbright English teacher in 1994, and we would often go as
a large group (around 30 people) to places for orientation, meetings
and such. Everywhere we went, it caused quite a stir. Although it's
2003 and there are more foreigners than there were then in Korea, large
groups of foreigners walking around everyday parts of Korea are still
unusual. I don't think it would be much different for, say, 10 people
to get on a subway and be speaking English, having multiple
conversations and such, than in 1994. People will inevitably talk to
members of such a group, although I think that, with little exception,
the conversation would be quite congenial. But just know that I have
several colleagues and friends who have been slapped for no other
reason than 1) being American, and/or 2) speaking English. Especially
for Asian Americans (who may or may not be/look Korean American), this
has been a problem. I regularly hear about not just the standard "taxi
driver story" in which they admonish Korean Americans for not speaking
Korean, but also about women especially who are verbally assaulted or
slapped by older Korean men who see them as a "miguk-nyun." Even
recently, a colleague of mine was told to "Speak Korean!" while talking
with a friend on the subway. Again, I don't think it necessarily a
problem for you, but I don't know your group. Forewarned is forearmed.

3) Looking like or being a GI, meaning being male, in good shape,
relatively young, having a short haircut - or just being African
American. Although I don't wish to stereotype academics (I'm one
myself!), most of us don't meet most of the above criteria. If you do,
there might be places that are just a bit more sensitive to you. Near
the Hongik University area (Hongdae) there are still many places -
mostly clubs and bars - that have signs that say "Due to unpleasant
experience in the past, no GI's are allowed" or something to that
effect ("No GI's!") Since Itaewon has been hooked into the Seoul subway
system directly with Line #6, IGI's and their families have been much
more inclined to travel outside Itaewon. Hongdae has become the #2 spot
to be now, outside of Itaewon. Since 9/11 and recent anti-American and
anti-military incidents (one officer was set upon by multiple attackers
and stabbed with a 5-inch blade on the way back to his camp in
December) a strict curfew has been in effect. MP's in Itaewon regularly
patrol and strictly enforce the 1 AM (weekends) curfew to be back on
base. So Hongdae has become an additional attractor for GI's who want
to party bcs the MP's do not patrol in this area. Almost as soon as the
verdict hit, the "no GI's" signs went up. But "normal" looking folks
have no problem. It's all pretty subjective and questionable, I know.
But know that individual businesses scattered around the city (and
other places in Korea) made similar acts of discriminatory protest.
Ever since the government has been trying to reign in the
anti-Americanism (superficial as it is), I think you won't find many
places outside of Hongdae that do this. But it's hard to account for
everyone, so don't be surprised if you come across something like this
or similar sentiments, especially if members of your group look GI-ish.
But being in a large, diverse-looking group will tend to cancel this
factor out. Just something to be aware of for individual members of
your group, methinks.

4) Seeming unsympathetic to US military crimes. A small factor, and one
that you probably won't have to think about at all, since the major
protests are over and there are now few college students maintaining
booths and handing out flyers in subways and on major streets. But it's
something to think about. The 3 GI men who got into trouble were a
convergence of several of the above factors: they were traveling in a
small group on the #1 line at night - AND THEN got into trouble when
they refused (perhaps angrily?) a flyer from an activist. Given the
language difference, the graphic photos used, and the strong feelings
on both sides of the issue, I doubt it was taken by either side as a
friendly exchange of ideas. I've been handed flyers on the street, I
think sometimes being singled out bcs I looked American, but I always
neutrally accepted the material and walked away. When I have spoken
with these people, they were always more than willing (usually very
much so!) to "fill me in." Just know that this isn't a matter of debate
or even an analysis of pertinent facts with many people here. I can't
blame people directly as much as the willfully irresponsible media
here, which misreported or simply didn't report certain things to
people here, especially in the matter of public apologies made,
compensation given, the fact that Korea is in SOFA agreements with
several other countries, or even that this was not a deliberate act of
murder, at the most extreme. In any case, the misconduct of the
military - in the way many people here understand it from the news
they've been getting - is simply an article of faith for many people.
If you don't speak Korean and don't know the person well, I wouldn't
even broach the topic, to be quite honest. If someone does ask you
"what you think as an American", I suggest you be really up on the fine
points of this incident and plan to have some time to get into it. If
you want to have pleasant dinner conversation, I'd suggest talking
about something else.

5) Walking around as an Asian female/non-Asian male pair. This greatly
increases your chances of people at least looking askance at you.
Especially in this time or relatively heightened tension, grumbling
over the recent James Bond film, and the general distaste that many
Korean men express towards foreign men taking "their" women, this is
something to keep in mind. Even when walking around with a female
friend being completely and consciously platonic, people stare. Since
they hear that we converse in Korean, it's generally a non-issue. But
in many other cases I know of, as well as observing people's reaction
to such "couples", I know that this can be a major trouble attractor,
possibly as great as all of the above ones but together. I've heard of
a taxi driver taking a couple and dropping them off way outside of
their destination out of spite, a Korean female adoptee who had her
Caucasian father visit and when they expressed normal familial
affection caused serious social scandal around them, women being
verbally accosted in Korean (the Korean man assuming the foreign man
doesn't understand), ad nauseum. The general reaction to an obvious
couple - especially if the man is not white - is barely-concealed
distaste and snickering. This is even more so if the couple is
conversing in English in public. Then some of the issues described
above (the woman being a "miguk-nyun", English attracting attention)
are additional factors. Some people might disagree with this
description, but I've seen this reaction a LOT. Just be aware of it if
members of your group fit this demographic and decide to go on a day
trip together. This is the closest I think any situation will bring
members of your group to the possibility of having an unpleasant
experience, but even still, I don't think it will actually cause any
real problems.

6) Being black, or otherwise racially marked. In my total of three
years spent living in Korea, I've seen an African American friend be
called "nigger" (yes, in English) exactly once, but it turned out (as
the police came after he near attacked my friend) that he had been
living in LA for the past ten years, and had obviously brought some
baggage with him that can't be declared at customs. In Korean (and most
people don't assume I speak it), I've been called "kkamdungi" exactly
twice. Once in passing as a man wondered to his friend what a kkamdungi
was doing on Cheju Island in 1994, and once by a kid at a wedding who
asked his immensely-embarrassed mom if I was really a kkamdungi or not.
As you can see, this sort of stuff is rare, unintentional, and
relatively innocuous. I say this because the American term "nigger" has
different historically-specific and heavily loaded impact than its
Korean "equivalent" that roughly means "blackie." In terms of other
ethnic backgrounds, know that in general, South Asian laborers are not
looked upon too highly here, although I wouldn't say there is active
popular resentment that people tend to act out individually. Still, I
find that many of these people seem to be sort of socially invisible,
it seems. But take that as my subjective and relatively uninformed
opinion in that regard.

Don't let this mini-list deter you. Just writing about the above points
makes the issue seem much larger than it is. For the most part, the
most interaction your group will have with ordinary Koreans they don't
know will be limited to passersby or passengers asking where they are
from, why they came to Korea, did they watch the World Cup, etc. I
would be quite surprised if anything untoward happened to your group.
Even if something uncomfortable were to take place, I think it would be
limited to the random yell from afar. And even in the RARE event of
something serious taking place, like being verbally or physically
accosted, 1) speaking Korean almost instantly defuses the situation,
and 2) a conscientious Korean will likely intervene on the behalf of
the hapless foreign visitor who is being harassed by a drunk ajussi. I
think many Koreans who actually witness such an out-and-out, unprovoked
attack on a foreign visitor would take this as an embarrassment to the
country.

I've never seen an entire group of people encounter outright hostility
here, and I would bet money that your experience won't be any
different. Just watch out more for individual members of the group,
while keeping the above things in mind and using a little caution with
the entire group when you are out and about in public. And as an
organizer, if you are the main worrier, then your guests don't have to
be. Just watch out for them a bit as you have your groups's likely
QUITE enjoyable stay in Korea!

-----
Michael Hurt
Korea-American Educational Commission
Fulbright Building
168-15 Yomni-dong, Mapo-gu
Seoul 121-874, Korea
011-822-702-6734 (h)
011-8216-512-9665 (c)

"Criticism, in short, is more than a right; it is an act of patriotism
– a higher form of patriotism, I believe, than the familiar rituals and
national adulation."

                                        - J. William Fulbright