[KS] NYTimes.com Article: Writing as a Block for Asians

Yuh Ji-Yeon j-yuh at northwestern.edu
Tue May 6 10:01:48 EDT 2003

Shouldn't someone write a letter to the NYT and point out that Korean
hangul is an alphabet system with "abstractions" in which letters are
either consonants or vowels and do not represent syllables?

I also have a question for linguists out there: on what basis can it be
said that a letter like A or B or like the hangul giuk is more abstract
than a Japanese syllable like ah or no?

best,
Yuh Ji-Yeon