[KS] Symbolism and Scientific nature of Korean Language revisited

dieter.eikemeier at uni-tuebingen.de dieter.eikemeier at uni-tuebingen.de
Wed May 7 10:26:44 EDT 2003

Chris& Soo wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Following up on a discussion about the "scientific" nature of Korean
> alphabet
 The Korean alphabet is a way to render the 'sounds' of a
language/languages (Korean and Sino-Korean) by bringing the numbers of
both the graphic devices and their elements down to their minimum (e.g.,
by not providing graphical devices to mark phonetic variants that, at
least in the ears of native speakers, are of a purely positional nature
and are therefore produced spontaneously). The Korean alphabet is
scientific because it does what science, as a particular field of
intellectual effort, is after: to find the minimum of means to achieve
an end (contributing to the solution of a problem by finding the minimum
of means needed satisfactorily to comprehend it).
Yours,
Dieter Eikemeier

and its symbolisms, and as a Korean language student, I'd like to