[KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?

Sang Hwan Seong sseong at uni-bonn.de
Thu May 8 04:10:55 EDT 2003

Re: [KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?Dear Frank,

Sure, I agree with your point. I am also aware that in the West Coast, esp. in the SF Bay Area, the PC (political correctness) movement has influenced the public sphere considerably in the past ten years or so. I hope that this will be the case in the rest of the States. I notice that this trend is also visible in Germany in some cases.
But as a mere linguist, I just did not want to enforce a prescriptive judgment on the use of the word 'oriental' and wanted to point out that our language undergoes constant changes. I was just delivering a  well-established descriptive analysis that is available in a popular linguistics textbook.
Greetings also from A. Huwe.

Best,

Sang Hwan Seong
University of Bonn