[KS] Korean women rulers

Jbopfell at aol.com Jbopfell at aol.com
Thu May 8 12:10:45 EDT 2003

<koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>

May 8, 2003
Ladies and Gentlemen:

In preparing our worldwide biographical dictionary of women government
leaders since A. D. 1300, my wife and I need material, and pictures where
possible, of the Korean leaders described in the appended text.  This text
presents all the information we have found so far.  Your comments on this
text and any additional material or guidance you can offer will be greatly
appreciated.  Have we found all the Korean women rulers?  Are their dates
correct?

Sincerely,

John B. Opfell
1007 Park Circle Drive
Torrance, California 90502
jbopfell at aol.com

Cong-hui (        ), Regent Dowager Queen of Korea, 1468 to 1477, for son
Yejung and grandson Sohgjung.
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm

Mun-jong (          ), Regent Dowager Queen of Korea, 1534-45/52 or
1554-55/62
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm

In-su (     ),  Regent Dowager Queen  of Korea, 1567 to 1568
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm

Kim Chong-sun (1745-1805). Regent Dowager Queen of Korea, 1800 to 1805
was regent for her grandson King Sunjo (Yi Kwang, 1800 to 1834).  Kim
Chong-sun Wang-hu was Senior Great Queen Regent for her grandson.   She was
widow of King Yongjo (Yi Kum, 1724 to 1776). She was the daughter of Kim
Han-ku, Prince Ohung who had two sons and twelve daughters, all by
concubines.
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm
http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Korea_South.htm
http://www.4de.net/royalark/Korea/korea7.htm

Kim Sun-wo Wang-ho (1789-1857), Regent Dowager Queen of Korea, 1834 and 1849
to 1850, First regent for Hon-jong (1834 to 1849) and then for Ch`ol-jong
(1849 to 1864) who died 1864.
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm
http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Korea_South.htm
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Korea/korea7.htm

Cho Sin-chong  (1809-1890), Regent Dowager Queen of Korea, 1864 to 1866.  She
was regent for Ko-jong King and Emperor (1864 to 1907).  She may have been
the widow of King Yi Chung (Ch'oljong) (1849 to 1864)
Prince Munjo, the son of King Sunjo (1790-1834), the 23rd king of the Yi
(Choson) dynasty, did not live long enough to reign.  Munjo married at age 11
and died at 21.  His father loved him greatly and ordered a kingly tomb built
for him.  The prince was given the title of Ik-jong posthumously.  His widow
was Queen Jo (Cho Sin-chong) who was buried near him in 1890.  Three years
before Ik-jong's death, the queen gave birth to a son who later became King
Honjong, the 24th king.  Dowager Jo lived to be 81.  She was responsible for
installing Gojong (Kojong) on the throne as the 26th king in 1864.
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/korea_heads.htm
http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Korea_South.htm
http://www.orientalarchitecture.com/kyonggi/donggureungindex.htm

Wun-song (1851-1895), de facto ruler of Korea, 1864 to 1894, officially named
Min Hun Yo; Myongsong was her posthumous name.  During her lifetime she was
generally known as Queen Min.  She was the de facto ruler and opposed the
Japanese domination. She was assassinated by Japanese soldiers. Daughter of
Regent Min Ch'irok (1873 to 1894), she married Regent Hung-son Tae-won Gun
(1864 to 1873), and was mother (?) of Emperor Kojong (1897 to 1907).  She
lived (1851-95)