[KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?

lawrence driscoll lawdri at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 12:14:42 EDT 2003

In North America, the term "oriental" evolved in the minds of many, as a
word used to describe a type of carpet. No one wants to be identified with
an object made to be tread upon. Quite understandably. Thus the expression
"Asian American" becomes the new and acceptable norm.
Best regards,
Lawrence Driscoll