[KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?

Eugene Y. Park parkey at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu
Fri May 9 00:56:40 EDT 2003

Dear List Members:

It seems to me that we all more or less agree on one point: neither the
term, "Oriental," nor "Asian" is perfect.  After all, labeling the Other
entails so many subjectivities that one can rarely come up with a name
that meets the needs or desires of everyone involved in the discourse-be
it the labeling party or the party being labeled.  One can think of so
many pairings of contrasting labels used depending on who's talking,
whether or not the party being labeled is in presence, and other factors:
Kankokujin/ChOsenjin, Caucasian gentleman/that white guy, and African
American/black, just to list a few.

When there is no perfect label for the Other, then I find it sensible to
use the label that those falling under the Other category prefer.  At
least based on my experience teaching and talking to English-speaking
people of East Asian descent under age 40 and living in the U.S., the
almost unanimous preference seems to be toward "Asian" rather than
"Oriental."

Cheers,

Gene

Eugene Y. Park