[KS] New book on Pyongyang

Dr. Eckart Dege dege at geographie.uni-kiel.de
Tue May 13 16:31:05 EDT 2003

I would like to inform the list members interested in North Korea of the
following new publication:

Chris Springer: Pyongyang. The Hidden History of the North Korean Capital.
Published by Entente Bt., Budapest, 2003. Distributed by Saranda Books, Gold
River, CA. 159 pages. ISBN 963 00 8104 0. US$ 29.95.

An overview of its contents and ordering information can be found under
http://www.hiddenhistory.info.

This book is a kind of city guide, describing the meaning and history of the
well known (and many not so well known) sites in Pyongyang, giving details you
would never find in official North Korean Publications. I would not necessarily
dare to take it along to Pyongyang, but I can highly recommend it as preparation
for and wrapping up after a visit to Pyongyang. It makes interesting reading.

I personally was not involved in the preparation of the book (and won't have a
share in any profits), but I provided most of the 100 color photos illustrating
it.  And I am a bit proud to see my pictures in such fine print.

Eckart Dege

--
Prof. Dr. Eckart Dege
Geographisches Institut