[KS] CALL FOR PAPERS: Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Students Conference in East Asian Studies

J. Elfving-Hwang J.K.Hwang at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 06:51:52 EST 2003

                  FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS AND POSTERS

                       POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
                  INTERDISCIPLINARY CONFERENCE IN
                         EAST ASIAN STUDIES

                            to be held on
                   AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD
                    SCHOOL OF EAST ASIAN STUDIES

The University of Sheffield’s School of East Asian Studies
(SEAS) invites postgraduate research students of East Asia
(China, Japan, Korea) to present papers or posters at a one day
conference to be held in Sheffield on 20 March 2004. The
conference will be an interdisciplinary meeting and papers or
posters in all areas of the social sciences and humanities that have
a focus on East Asia are welcomed. The event is designed to
provide an informal forum for postgraduate students with interest
in East Asia to present and discuss work-in-progress and to
encourage young academics to exchange ideas and cultivate
interdisciplinary connections beyond their own area of expertise.
In addition, there will be an opportunity for students to have their
papers published on the SEAS Electronic Working Papers
website. We also invite postgraduate students in the early stages
of their research to present a poster, which will give an
opportunity to discuss research ideas with other conference
participants.

Papers

If you wish to present a paper at the conference please send an
abstract of no more than 300 words with your contact information
and institutional affiliation to conference organiser Jo Elfving-
Hwang before 11 January 2004. Papers submitted after that date
will not be considered. Please send your proposal as a Word email
attachment to { HYPERLINK "mailto:joanna_hwang at sheffield.ac.uk" }joanna_hwang at sheffield.ac.uk

The aim of this conference is to encourage inter-disciplinarity and
to this end it is our intention that the panels will be organised
thematically. However, it would assist us in considering and
placing your abstracts appropriately if you could provide us with
an indication of which discipline you regard your research falling
under.

Those who have sent an abstract will be notified by 30 January,
2004 of the outcome. If your paper is accepted, you are asked to
send the full text to the conference secretary by 27 February,
2004.

Posters

If you would like to present a poster, please indicate your intention
to attend by sending an e-mail to the conference organiser Jo
Elfving-Hwang ({ HYPERLINK "mailto:joanna_hwang at sheffield.ac.uk" }joanna_hwang at sheffield.ac.uk) before 11
January 2004.

If you do not wish to present a paper or poster, but would
like to attend the conference as an observer, please notify
us by 30 January 2004 as we need to know how many
people will attend.

The registration fee for the conference is GBP 5.00 payable on
arrival on 20 March, 2004 and will cover tea/coffee and buffet
lunch. We regret that we cannot provide travel grants.

Further information will be available on SEAS website:
{ HYPERLINK "http://www.seas.ac.uk" }www.seas.ac.uk
Travel information: { HYPERLINK "http://www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/" }http://www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/
Accomodation:
{ HYPERLINK "http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/temporary_accommodation.html" }http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/temporary_accommodation.html