[KS] Death of a wonderful scholar and friend

Mark Peterson Mark_Peterson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 14 20:11:22 EST 2003

Dear Korean Studies list,

Many of you knew or knew of Prof. Song June Ho who worked closely
with Ed Wagner for many years.  We just got word of his death.  He
gave many of us great insights into Korean history.  He was always
generous with his time and was the most gentle and goodly of men.  He
was the last of a generation, a bridging generation, that marked the
transition from the days of education of the scholar in traditional
ways, in classic Chinese, and the scholar of the twentieth century
who was influenced by the West in a new Korea after the liberation
from the colonial days.  He was a highly respected professor who
taught most of his years at Chonbuk National University, and although
one could get a teaching position in those days without a PhD, he was
indeed wiser than the vast majority of people who have PhD's.

His diligence was legendary.  He was so precise, so unerring in his
scholarship.  And when there was a disagreement on issues of Korean
history, or of matters about traditional society and lineage, he
would resort to the documents.  No one knew the documents, and no one
knew Chinese classics, better than Professor Song.  And yet he was
always ready to share, to help the young student, the graduate
student, the younger faculty member, or the community member who was
trying to read the documents of his own family.

I personally benefited greatly from many conversations with Prof.
Song.  Whatever the issue, whatever the document, whatever the
article to write, he was always there for me, as he was for so many
others.  He was always insightful, interested, animated, excited
about the issue at hand.  Always complimentary of the effort to that
point, and always ready to help the colleague with the benefit of his
knowledge and understanding.

We have lost a great friend.  It is almost too much to lose him
within the short span of time that Professor Wagner left us.  They
must be enjoying their reunion in the skies now, and talking with the
authors of the documents, and the players in the history, that they
had studied.  And we here in the mundane realm miss them both.

Thank you, Professor Song.

Sadly and with great respect,

Mark Peterson