[KS] Han Hwa-am?

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at east.uio.no
Thu Nov 27 04:08:58 EST 2003

Dear Ross,

Have you seen a Russian article by Dr. A.N.Khokhlov, entitled "Korean
Patriot Han KilmyOng Evaluated  by the Russian Far Eastern Press"
(<Rossiyskoe Koreevedenie>, Almanac, Issue 1, 1999, pp. 72-81)?
Unfortunately, it deals mostly with the background of Han's suicide, and,
so far the subject of Han's Korean career is concerned, just mentions that
he was good at Russian and English and worked as the translator for the
Russian Consulate in Chemulp'o in 1902-1904. An interesting detail Khokhlov
also mentions is that, after having been detained by the Japanese, Han was
released on the solicitation of the French Council - something that shows
Han had certain social standing.

Best greetings,

Vladimir (Pak Noja)

At 20:58 26.11.2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues:
>
>I am finally writing up the materials I have gathered over the past few
>years on the activities of G. V. Podstavin (1875-1924), Professor of
>Korean Language and Literature in Vladivostok from 1900-1922, and am
>hoping somebody on the list can help me out with a small problem related
>to the first Korean lector at the Vostochnyi Institut, Mr. Han Kilmyeng
>(all Korean forms here in Yale).
>
>When Podstavin recommended him for appointment as lector in 1900, he said,
>among other things:
>
>"Coming from the ancient noble family Khan [Han], famous in Korea for the
>education of its members, Khan Kil'men [Han Kilmyeng] from age 5 began to
>study Chinese writing under the guidance of his grandfather Khan Khoa-am
>[Han Hwa-am], the historical compilations of whom enjoy much popularity
>among educated Koreans. Upon finishing his elementary studies, at age 9,
>Khan Kil'men embarked upon the study of Chinese history, taught to him by
>his father Khan Chiui-gan [Han Chwikang?], who to this day has not ceased
>his literary studies . . . "
>
>Can anybody identify for me this Han Hwa-am or his son Han Chwikang, who
>apparently were quite well known at the time? Other materials from
>Vladivostok emphasize that numerous of Han Kilmyeng's relatives held
>government posts.
>
>(Han Kilmyeng studied at the Hanseng Aehakkyyo/Seoul Russian Language
>School opened by the Korean government in 1896, and was Podstavin's
>consultant already throughout 1899 during Podstavin's first stay in Korea.
>His suicide in Vladivostok in 1908 in response to slander from
>pro-Japanese Koreans in town attracted much media attention in Russia).
>
>Any tips at all would be appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>---
>Ross King
>Associate Professor of Korean, University of British Columbia
>and
>Dean, Korean Language Village, Concordia Language Villages

Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of East European and Oriental Studies,
Faculty of Arts,
University of Oslo,
P.b. 1030, Blindern, 0315, Oslo, Norway.
Fax: 47-22854140; Tel: 47-22857118
Personal web page: http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/
                    http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html