[KS] Jong-il Personality Cult

Richard Miller rcmiller at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 9 23:07:06 EDT 2003

Victor Fic asks:

>With the North Koreans celebrating their 55th anniversary, I am researching
issues
>connected with the regime. For now, I would like to focus on the Jong-il
personality cult.

>1. Can anyone provide me with anecdotes that they have read about or heard
about
>over the years attesting to Jong-il's intellectual, moral and physical
prowess -- as his
>flunkies have it? Is there a web site or article that lists them?

Have you looked at the book Kim Jong Il: The People's Leader, by Choe In Su?
I have an incomplete copy of volume 2, and the book seems to be little more
than one long anecdote about Jong-il's amazing abilities. The summation of a
section entitled "A Genius of Thought and Theory" seems to encapsulate the
book:

"From olden times it was said in the East that even a noted builder who
creates a royal palace cannot make a small stationery shelf, and they say in
the West that even Newton would not have become a Shakespeare....But Kim
Jong Il is a brilliant master of thought and theories who made that belief
appear pale" (p.153).

Over the course of the book, Jong-Il singlehandedly beats the experts at
whatever subject comes up, be it renovating opera, designing a dam, or
climbing Paekdusan. And that's just volume 2.

Richard

Richard Miller
UW-Madison School of Music
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~rcmiller/